For the Media
Have a publicity inquiry? Please see my Speaking page.
Laura Simms is an expert in meaningful work who challenges conventional wisdom by asking people to ditch their passions and start with purpose.
She’s the creator of Your Career Homecoming, a celebrated career change program that helps people discover the meaningful work that’s right for them. Her work has been featured by The US News & World Report, Business Insider, and Psychology Today.
Laura’s colorful career history includes a history degree, an MFA in acting, getting fired from a dream project, quitting multiple jobs (including one after the first day), teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and a successful career as an actor where she worked on network television, performed in every state on the Eastern seaboard, received multiple callbacks from Cirque du Soleil, and shared a sound booth with Sandra Oh.
She lives in Atlanta with her husband and son, where she loves walking in the woods and trying to find the best whiskey cocktail in town
Laura Simms is the founder of the celebrated career change program, Your Career Homecoming, where she helps people discover the meaningful work that's right for them.
AS SEEN IN
- Why you shouldn't follow your passion
- What purpose is and isn't, and how it's different from passion
- How to find a meaningful career
- What the new paradigm of work looks like today
- Practical steps to take when changing careers
- Other topics related to meaningful work, career change, and entrepreneurship
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For interviews, I'm comfortable improvising and following the conversation where it goes. Occasionally, I'm asked what kind of questions I receive most often. Here's a sample:
- Tell us about your own journey to finding a meaningful career.
- Traditional advice for people looking to change careers is to follow their passions, but you focus on purpose with your clients. Why?
- What differentiates passion and purpose?
- What are some of the mistakes people make when going through a career transition and what should they do instead?
- If someone wants a new career but they don’t know what they want to do, how can they start to figure that out?
Good to Know
Right click to download a high resolution image. Photos by Crystal Downs
- EO FIRE: Ditch your passions and start with purpose says Laura Simms
- REAL TALK RADIO: Laura Simms on Career Transitions, Meaningful Work, and The Value of Small Steps
- RAISE YOUR HAND, SAY YES: Laura Simms on Purpose
- WOMEN, WORK, AND WORTH: Collaborating Over Competing + How to Make Money with Others
- THE BALANCING ACT PODCAST: Discovering the Power of Choice with Laura Simms
- JUMPSTART YOUR JOY: Laura Simms on Finding a Career That Feels Like Home
- RAISE YOUR HAND, SAY YES: Laura Simms on Career
- WOMEN, WORK, AND WORTH: Realizing 'Follow Your Passion' Isn't the Best Advice
- DEAR CREATORS: Career, Purpose, and Meaningful Work
- YOUR COURAGEOUS LIFE: Laura Simms, Your Career Homecoming
- THE TEXAS CONFERENCE FOR WOMEN: Reviving Your Career
- SAY YES PODCAST: Starting Over in Your Career with Laura Simms
WRITTEN FEATURES & CONTRIBUTIOnS
- LIVESTRONG.COM: How to Navigate 8 Potential Pitfalls of Socializing at Work
- US NEWS & WORLD REPORT: Can I Afford to Quit My Job?
- US NEWS & WORLD REPORT: 5 Ways to Seek a Meaningful Paycheck
- BUSINESS INSIDER: How to Connect the Dots When You've Had a Bunch of Random Jobs
- THE HUFFINGTON POST: 5 Ways to Seek a Meaningful Paycheck
- IDEALIST CAREERS: Connecting the Dots Between the Random Jobs You've Had
- NAVUT: Relocation for Power Couples, Part II: Find a Job in Your New City
- THE DAILY WORTH: 8 Scenarios You'll Try to Talk Yourself Out of, but Shouldn't
- THE WRITE LIFE: The 100 Best Websites for Writers in 2014
- THE WRITE LIFE: The 100 Best Websites for Writers in 2015
- PSYCH CENTRAL: How to Find a Fulfilling Career Path
- PSYCH CENTRAL: 5 Ways to Cope with Burnout
- PSYCH CENTRAL: Career Coaching 101: Finding a Professional to Help You Find Your Fulfilling Career
- PSYCH CENTRAL: Suggestions for Savoring Solitude
- PSYCH CENTRAL: 20 Ideas from Creativity Connoisseurs To Inspire Your Imagination
- PSYCH CENTRAL: 3 Myths About Creativity That Just Won’t Quit
- LEAVING WORK BEHIND: The 100 Blogs You Need in Your Life
- LEAVING WORK BEHIND: 22 Success Stories Reveal The Moment When They Knew They Were Capable Of More
- RIGHT BRAIN ROCKSTAR: 38 Amazing People Who Will Help You Quit Your Job and Follow Your Dreams
- PSYCHOLOGY TODAY: 25 Women Writers Share Their Best Self-Compassion Tips
- MERVI EMILIA: Success defined by 5 successful women
WRITTEN GUEST ARTICLES
- INSPIRED COACH MAGAZINE: How to Create a Signature Program
- TINY BUDDHA: 5 Empowering Lessons from Being Fired
- JOBS2CAREERS: 3 Ways the Computer is Hurting Your Job Search
- BRAINS OF MINERVA: How to Know When It’s Time to Quit Acting
- COACHING BLUEPRINT: 6 Ways to Make Free Consults Work For You
- LKR SOCIAL MEDIA: 3 Tips to Boost Your Confidence & Look Alive on Video
- KIND OVER MATTER: Be the Rabbit
- THE ACTOR’S LOUNGE: How to Feel Like an Artist in the Town That Makes Big Momma’s House 3
- JOIE MAGAZINE: Mischief is Magic
- MORE MOVEMENT: Just move: undancing my way to momentum
- 5 RULES FOR LIFE: By Laura Simms